Renewable projects normally comprise one contract on the generating plant (turbines/panels-inverters) and one or more balance of plant contracts (such as lines, cables, substations, or the erection of the generating plant). Contracts on generating plants are normally characterized by the manufacturer/vendor having a suite of documents from which they are reluctant to deviate, as it is closely tied to their product, while balance of plant contracts need to discharge all requirements applying to the project.
We contribute to your project by introducing and ensuring:
- compliance with grid code and grid connection, delivery of documentation and models by manufacturer, both to discharge requirements of grid authorities and to form the basis for the balance of plant contractor’s design (protection, harmonic filters and reactive power equipment)
- consistency and completeness in civil design basis for the balance of plant contractor’s design
- transparent approach to energy yield assessments
- clear communication and user-friendly SCADA interfaces
To enable suppliers to be evaluated on an even basis we prepare tender packages which are clearly defined, and all ambiguities/interpretation points are minimized to the highest degree possible.
The tender packages setting out the scope of work and technical requirements typically:
- include and reference all governing project-specific documents such as consents, permits, interconnection agreement, landowner agreements, or generating plant supply agreement
- clarify which standards and regulations govern, especially whenever doubt might prevail
- clarify interfaces of all kinds: design exchange, scope apportionments, access and parallel works, testing and commissioning
- specify design lifetime, corrosive ambience, availability and reliability targets to steer up contractor’s design, paying attention to consequences and avoiding excess and costly designs
- include schedules with all important milestones, such as: time of design submissions for other party to approve, completion of defined, essential design packages, readiness for works and tests of other parties
- are clear about requirements for detail in and quality of engineering, specifying analyses and calculations for contractor to undertake whenever not obviously set by laws or regulations
- interfere as little as possible to avoid preferential engineering and to leave the contractor in control
- include precise requirements for:
- inspection, testing and commissioning
- takeover criteria
- as-built documentation
- operation and maintenance manuals
We ensure that a future organization has a concise and comprehensive basis to work from in compliance with applicable rules and regulations and provide a basis for contracting operation and maintenance services. We address both preventive and corrective maintenance and provision of tools and spares, and the training of personnel for operation and maintenance.
We evaluate tenders with a special focus on costs, risks and technical proposals, comparing with capitalization whenever possible and provide substantiated recommendations. If relevant, we contribute to or manage negotiation processes.